Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Another Bingham Adventure......Before I WAS a Bingham

I've had this backpack that has moved from place to place with me ever since I left college. It was the backpack I used my junior and senior year but once I moved to Dallas, it rarely got used. And yet I still tote it around from place to place. Two apartments in Dallas, our first house, two apartments in Germany, hotel in Germany, hotel in Dallas, now our corporate apartment and soon to be our fabulous new townhouse.

I finally decided to dig through it and here is what I found: a shopping guide to Italy, a lint roller, a picture of Brad when he played baseball at Northeast, a notebook I took on my New York and Chicago trip in 2005, a fruit roll up, and the best part - a mini journal from our trip to Alaska.

Brad and I graduated in May of 2006. A few days following graduation, the two of us as well as Stephanie and her boyfriend (at the time) hopped on a plane for Alaska to visit their Uncle Scott that lived in Anchorage. It was one of the most incredible trips we've ever been on (and we've been to some pretty fantastic places) and I love that I thought to jot some memories down. I figured I'd post what I wrote on those pieces of copy paper for all of you to read. This was Jen, pre-blog days:

5/11/2006
Well, we're here! The trip wasn't the most exciting since Brad and I were stuck in the emergency aisle with only two seats for both of us to "sleep" in; not to mention we were there for FIVE hours! But it is going to be more than worth it! Not sure what all we're going to do yet but possibly a trip to the zoo, maybe Mount McKinley, a boat ride, and who knows what else? We'll see.......

5/12/2006
Yesterday was amazing! We got up and had brunch at a local cafe' where we met Mindi (Scott's girlfriend). Then Scott drove us around town and we went to a neighborhood area that overlooks the whole town. We could see mountains in every direction and the ocean in the distance. Since we might not get to see much wildlife we took a trip to the zoo. Then we drove along this windy road to a town where people can ski when the snow is good. We had nachos and hot chocolate at Chair 5 Lodge. The locals are all really nice!


From here we drove a little further where we took a one-way tunnel into Whittier. It was this small fishing town with nothing but boats and a few local bars. Of course we stopped and had a few of the Alaskan brewed beers. :) Delicious! Since the tunnel was about to close we headed back towards Anchorage. Along the windy road we saw about twenty bald eagles fishing. It was incredible!


We met Mindi and her friend from high school at this really great sushi place. I think we ordered just about everything they had on the menu. I tried cold sake for the first time - it was actually pretty good. It's crazy here because the sun doesn't completely go down until about midnight. We left the sushi place at 9:00 pm and the sun was still high in the sky. Crazy. But we rented a movie, got ice cream and called it a day. But tomorrow should be even more incredible!

**Ok, so it appears I was about as long winded in my writing at 21 as I am now. Soooo, as not to bore you with a ridiculously long post, we'll break this up. Stay tuned for the rest of our Alaskan Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment