Monday, July 5, 2010

BIG News: A Bittersweet Tale

Within the first month of marriage, Brad and I found out we’d be moving to Germany. The timing was a bit of a surprise but we had been praying he’d get transferred for several months. So, we sold our house (that we hadn’t even owned a year and I lived in all of three months), I quit my job, and we shipped everything we owned to Deutschland. We said goodbye to Dallas knowing we wouldn’t be back for good until 2012 (if not later)….or so we thought.

Here’s where the bad news comes in: The Bingham’s are moving back to Dallas in about a month. Talk about being blindsided. Hearing the news was like being punched in the gut then adding that the move date is practically tomorrow, well that’s just kicking us while we’re down. We’ve been here just long enough to fall in love with it, get truly settled and make some friends and now it’s time to leave.

Here's why we're most disappointed about leaving:

1. There are still soooo many places we still want to see throughout Europe.

2. We sold our really great house in Valley Ranch and now we have to start all over, which may mean apartment living for a little while.

3. I have to quit my awesome new job.

4. I have to find a new job and quickly.

5. Very few people were able to come for a visit in the time we were here (shout out to Kristin, Bethany, Stephanie, and Jack who did visit).

6. OktoberFest in Munich will be missed, once again.

7. Stella is going to HATE the Texas heat and humidity….just like her Mama. Putting my sweet pup in the cargo area of a plane terrifies me.

8. I don't know that we'll find schnitzel that's as good as it is here. Not to mention the beer.

9. We’ll be living in a hotel for Lord knows how long and there’s a good chance it’ll be at Zum Schnackel while we’re still in Germany (we all know how well that went the first time around).

10. We’re really going to miss it here.

That’s enough negativity.

Ready for the good news?

The Bingham’s are moving back to Dallas in about a month!! And do you want to know why? Because Brad is brilliant and amazing and he’s being promoted to a Senior Project Manager (which is at the Executive Level) which is a big deal. If you can’t tell, I’m a little proud of my husband…and I have no doubt he’ll be 100% embarrassed when he reads this.

Now then, let’s discuss all of the good things, shall we?

1. Hands down, the most exciting thing is that we’ll be closer to our family and friends. This deserves sub-bullets:

a. I don’t know if my MIL could handle going another year without seeing her boy. I don’t know how she did it.

b. I’m already beyond attached to our little nephew, Liam, and now we’ll get to see him grow. Not to mention, I’ve missed my sister like crazy.


c. My sister-in-law is about the coolest chick there is and while she’s studying and working like a mad woman, there will always be time for mini-vacays to Dallas.

d. As soon as Brad recovers from his broken collar bone, he’ll be playing golf with our dads in no time.

e. My Mom and Riley just moved to Keller (close but not too close, as she’ll tell you) and I’m seeing a lot of shopping weekends in my future.


f. We’ll be around to watch as the Gonzales’ boys turn into young men…and maybe catch a band performance/football/baseball/soccer/lacrosse game along the way…and just maybe enjoy a glass of wine here and there with Traci and Michael.


g. Grandparents! A visit only once or twice in a year simply won’t do.

h. And of course our friends. We’ve made some wonderful friends here but I’d be lying if I said we didn’t miss our nights/weekends with those who know us best. You all know who you are.

2. No more waking up at 3:00 am to watch college football. No, sir! It’s back to spending our weekends throughout the fall tailgating in Stillwater, OK (or wherever the Cowboys are playing that weekend). I think for Brad this is reason enough to move back.


3. We may have missed out on OktoberFest in Munich, but I hear downtown McKinney throws a pretty mean OktoberFest themselves and it’s bound to be just as cool. Wipe that smirk off your face.

4. While the idea of house hunting / buying a house from another continent can be a little daunting, it’s also really exciting (and borderline addicting). We just need to work out that pesky little issue of me not having a job when we return and everything will be fine. I’m sure I’ll have updates on how the house hunt is going in the coming weeks.

5. Air conditioning everywhere you go – enough said.

6. Weekends at the lake.

7. Stella gets to meet her dog family – Charlie, Buddy, Lilly, and Mischi

8. DSW, Nordstroms, Target, Crate & Barrel, Sonic, Glorias/Anamias…actually ALL Mexican food, 24 hour Walgreens (nothing is 24 hour here), etc.

9. DVR and Cable television (I’ve missed you HGTV).

10. Turning right on red.

Now I’m just being silly. But obviously there are many GREAT reasons to move back to the Big D.

Until then we are going to soak up everything we possibly can. Our time may be fleeting but our memories here certainly aren’t. The Bingham Adventures are just getting started…

1 comment: