Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wine Fest....Round 2

What's better than a Wine Festival? TWO Wine Festivals! And what's better than two wine festivals? Getting to enjoy it with my dear friend, Bethany!

Bethany came in town for a site inspection for an upcoming meeting in Frankfurt and it just worked out perfectly that she was able to spend a couple of days with us. Plus it finally gave us the motivation to get the guest bedroom completed (which it is so come visit us).

Brad, Tommy, and Melissa checked out the wine festivities on Saturday. I've turned into my mother (and Grandma, for that matter) and spent the evening ironing sheets, pillowcases, etc. and making sure our little guest room was comfy enough. Plus I only had a couple of days to spend with Bethany and her flight was scheduled to land at 6:00 am on Sunday morning....I needed my sleep.

Sunday was just beautiful. After breakfast we drove Bethany around Mainz (where we live) and Weisbaden (where we'd like to live). We stopped by a neighbor's barbecue for a bit before hopping on the trolley to head to the Wine Festival. Having experienced the Weisbaden Wine Festival the week before, I expected much of the same. To my surprise, the Mainz Festival blew the Weisbaden Festival out of the water! It was about 10 times as big!! Ok, so the wine didn't change much and left a little to be desired but we still managed to have a great time!

We were taken back in time when we went to order a pizza type dish from a woman who had just stepped out of the Medieval era. She was wearing a leather skirt that looked like she may have killed the cow herself to make it. From a distance I thought maybe she was just playing the part with her get-up. No, no. As we got closer I noticed her leg hair was a "tad" long and she had a bit of a dark mustache going. But that wasn't all. Almost in slow motion, she turned around to take a tray out of the wood burning oven and as she raised her arms.....well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

After enjoying a crepe with Nutella we called it a day. (I'm sure by now you're noticing a trend here.....I can't attend anything that ends with "Fest" without having a crepe with Nutella. I have zero self-control.)

Bethany and I spent Monday morning relaxing and being lazy. We took Stella for a long walk through the orchard and helped ourselves to some pears. We made the seviche style shrimp tacos for lunch and spent the afternoon chatting and relaxing. We finished the day at our favorite pub, Eva's. She couldn't come to our neck of the woods and not enjoy some schnitzel.

We dropped her off at her hotel in Frankfurt and said our goodbyes. Knowing I will see her again in about a month is a good feeling. I love always having something to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment